Friday, October 12, 2012

Baku , Azerbaijan

I was in the mood for doing some posts so after the new ones I got yesterday I dig one more to my oldies :P So here I start with a rather old one , from Baku , Azerbaijan ! Card was printed in 1989 so by that time , it was Baku , USSR. ( It came to me some years later via Russia sent by Maria ) At the back it reads Площадь Ленина ( Lenin Square ). I guess every city in Soviet Union had a square with that name. The square was finished in 1952 and in 1955 a monument of Lenin was erected in front of it , However after the collapse of Soviet Union and the independence of Azerbaijan , the monument was gone and so did the name too. Now it is called Azadliq meydani ( Freedom Sq). The building still stands though and it is the Government House of Baku ..... It would be great to receive a new version of it !



No comments:

Post a Comment