Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Antakya, Turkey

A small gift to myself . I'm having a hard time to find a postcard from Antakya. So when I stoumble across an offer from Goethe Institut to make free cards and send them I thought of myself and sent me an Antakya one . Goethe Institute Athens is celebrating its 60 years so it held a promotion. Its cards are huge and kinda thin but you can't complain for free stuff right ?
Antakya is my new turkish addiction as it a really beautiful city yet undiscovered by the masses. It is located in the southern part of Turkey very close to the Syrian borders. Due to its proximity to Syria , Arabic can still be heard there . It is the ancient city of Antioch having seen numerous civilizations rising and falling leaving their traces up to this day .It is the last part incorporated into the Turkish Republic in 1939 after forming a transitional short lived political entity known as Hatay State (Hatay Devleti ).

No comments:

Post a Comment